Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Tracheal Bleeding

W.C. asks, "I've noticed a small amount of bleeding from my trach recently. Should I be worried?"

Answer: The two most frequent causes of tracheal bleeding are due to frequent suctioning and lack of humidity.  Regarding frequent suctioning, one should not decrease the frequency of suctioning just because of the appearance of some blood.  Rather, this should be a cue to switch to softer suction catheters.  I usually recommend red rubber catheters, which are not suction catheters, but are actually they are urinary catheters, technically called "coude" catheters.  These are especially helpful because the tip is closed, rather than open, so there is less trauma to the tissue with the use of these catheters.  Because the tip is closed, they may not be quite as effective as the standard suction catheters, but complete healing of tracheal tissue has been observed in as little as 24 hours after the switch, so this is an option.  Please note: Red rubber catheters cannot be used in the patient with a latex allergy.

The other frequent cause of tracheal bleeding is lack of proper humidity.  This is especially true in the fall and winter in colder climates....or other places that have low humidity (like hospitals!).  This dried blood can collect within the tracheostomy tube and begin to occlude the airway.  In fact, one patient had no trouble at home, but came to the hospital and required almost daily trach changes because of the accumulation of dried blood within his tracheostomy.  The problem resolved as soon as humidity was added to his ventilator circuit.

Now that fall and winter is approaching, you may need some extra help with humidity.  This can include room humidifiers, soaking a gauze in water or saline and placing lightly over your trach, using an HME (heat moisture exhanger), spritzing some atomized saline (Ocean nasal spray) into the trach and mucous membranes, increasing water intake, and more frequent changes.

If there is a large amount of bleeding, contact your health care provider for further evaluation.

5 comments:

  1. The Catheter Supplier was so great that I used was so great! I will use them again and a time of need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! My mother has AlS and she has been hospitalized for more than 3 years and she never suffered from tracheal bleeding.2 months (March 2012) she started bleeding(not very large amounts but frequent bleeding) from inside the trachea,this happens when she gets suction via trachea.So the RT's lavaged and it helped because she had less bleeding but it didn't completly solved the problem.On April 15 the trach changed was due so they changed the tracheostomy and I noticed that the trach changed helped because she had less frequent bleeding but near the end of the month period for trach change she started bleeding the same as in March and on the 6 of this month (May 2012) my mother had bleeding coming from her throat,from the inside.I am positive is from the inside because theres no bleeding around the mouth or lips and because my mom told me its coming from her throat also that she was feeling burning and pain.A lot of bleeding was coming at the time of suctioning the mouth.My mother asked for suctioning often.The nurses notified the doctor and the doctor decided to hold aspirin for some days.

    I will like to know how bleeding coming from the throat can relate to trach bleeding?
    Also how can bleeding be stoped?


    THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister is in coma for last one yaer .she got readmitted 2 months due to excessive tracheal secretions and her tracheostomy was changed recently .now for last few she is having fresh bleeding from tracheostomy tube when i do her suction .what would b the reason ?plus she is having strong cough for last few days .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had my TL a little more than a year ago when my third child was born via c-section. I was not told ANYTHING about the possible side effects of having this procedure. Since then I have experienced heavy bleeding lasting sometimes 3 weeks out of the month, weight gain, severe mood swings. Severe cramping, changes to my libido, severe depression accompanied by suicidal thoughts, headaches, migraines, many new symptoms & older issues are now exacerbated. The father of two of my children doesn't want me anymore. I've become too much of a pain in the ass I guess. We don't talk. We don't sleep in the same bed. I think he might really think I am crazy... & maybe I am. I feel crazy a lot of the time.
    I'm unpredictable. I feel so angry about the whole thing & now what was once a mild fear of doctors has exploded into full on white coat syndrome that causes me to have a panic attack/hypertensive emergency (severe increase in blood pressure) whenever I have to deal with them. I'm not sure what to do... I fear the next time I have to see a doctor I'll have a stroke or a heart attack from the stress & anxiety of it... what do I do? I take my time and keep searching on internet looking for natural healing that how I came across Dr Itua herbal center website and I was so excited when Dr Itua told me to calm down that he will help me with his natural remedy I put my hope on him so I purchase his herbal medicines which was shipped to my address I used it as prescribed guess what? I'm totally healed my cramp pain is gone completely I also used his Anti Bacteria herbal medicines it's works for me very well I want anyone with health problem to contact Dr Itua herbal center for any kind diseases remedies such as Parkinson, Herpes, ALS, MS, Diabetes, Hepatitis, Hiv/Aids,Cancers, Men & Women Infertility, I got his email address  drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com he has any kind of herbal remedies for women & men also for our babes. I really miss my Hunni...he's a fantastic father & a good man. He doesn't deserve this. I feel like an empty shell of who I used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete